LIA is an acronym for Library and Information Association (Republic of Mauritius). The association regroups professional librarians and para-professional staff (Technicians) working in the library and information sector in Mauritius.
The association was created in Nov 2008 and its objects are:
- To represent and promote the interests of both professionals and para-professionals in the field of Library and Information Science in Mauritius, through the provision of such outreach activities as the organisation of workshops and conferences, the publication of newsletters and other such publications, the provision of a Continuing Professional Development Programme and other such supports that may deem necessary
- To work towards the promotion of libraries and information centres
- To enable a network of interaction amongst members of the profession through the creation of an online forum
- To enable the creation, maintenance, exploitation and sharing of knowledge and thus fostering a spirit of equal access to both information and knowledge
- To encourage personal professional development through the publication of journals and other such research works of its members
- To establish networks with similar professional organizations in other countries for sharing of knowledge, best practices and for the benefit of all library and information workers
Who can be a member?
Any person holding a diploma or higher qualification in Librarianship or Information Science is eligible to become a member.